Thursday, October 8, 2015

All we need is a chance...

Anxiety. 
SO MUCH ANXIETY.

This last week we've waited for the results of the Microarray test. As I told you last week, the initial look showed a translocation of a piece of the #5 and a piece of the #18 chromosome. So, the sent my amniotic fluid to be viewed under Microarray for a closer look to make sure that the swap didn't result in any duplication or depletion. Either of those could mean that Max won't be compatible with life after birth.

So... yeah... Anxiety!

Each day I hoped I'd hear from our genetic counselor, Brent, and each day I didn't I worried more. Finally, on Thursday, I couldn't take it anymore! I had to call the office at Maternal Fetal Medicine anyway to let them know that I had recieved an appointment time for the Fetal Echocardiogram (Cardiologist), and I thought I might as well bother Brent. The receptionist was sorry to report that she did not know if my results were in, and Brent wasn't even in the office on Thurdsdays. She promised to take a message and have him get back to me Friday. Then, suddenly she asked if she could put me on hold. I waited through three loops of the most obnoxious "hold" music. When she returned her voice was excited, "Brittany I can't beleive it, but Brent just walked in and I told him you were on the phone. He checked his desk and your results are here. Let me transfer you."

Brent, "Hey Brittany, how are you?"
*heart pounding, hands shaking, tears threatening*
Me, "I'm so sorry to bug you, but I've just been so anxious to find out if the mircoarray results came in."
Brent, "Not a problem, they must have just come today... and I have good news for you..."
Me, "Seriously?!" *tears pouring, heart racing*

He went into great detail that I cannot even try to repeat. So, basically they did NOT see any duplications or deletions in Max's DNA from the translocation. 

This means that MAX IS COMPATIBLE WITH LIFE!!!!

Yes, Max is still fighting an incredible uphill battle. 
BUT HE CAN FIGHT!
WE CAN FIGHT!
HE HAS A CHANCE!

For now, this is all I needed. Now, we can pursue whatever surgical options they can offer us to help him survive. I just needed to know that he has a chance, and now I know he does.

Here's to not missing any chromosomes and having chances;
here's to Max King!

XO.




No comments:

Post a Comment